Tifffany's Ramblings

Friday, August 08, 2003

Alright...I'll let you in on a little secret...just don't tell anyone. The secret is: I crochet a LOT faster than I knit. Ok, so it's not such a secret...anyone who knows me probably knows this. But anyways, here is what I have been up to yesterday and today.

If you have browsed my site you may have noticed that I have made this pattern before (view it here). This time I used Bernat Baby Coordinates in green for the main color and Caron Cuddle Soft in blue for the trim. (The blue tends to look purple against the green...but I am ok with that). I mixed yarns for the main reason that I wanted the softness and shimmer of the Baby Coordinates for the main part of the project but I wanted the trim stitches to stand out really well. Both are baby weight pompadour yarns...so it is all sparkly (which unfortunately doesn't show up much in the picture). The Bernat yarn is some pretty neat stuff...it IS baby weight but it has sort of a homespun feel to it. Of course this means you can't use it for any texture work (I originally tried working the knit cardigan set in this and ripped it out early on because none of my hard work was showing up). The yardage is a little less than normal baby weight yarns, I think...but it is cheap, soft, and really pretty. It splits some during work and the ends fray as soon as you cut them...but it isn't that bad. I still recommend it. I really like the pattern I used, but the amount of yarn it calls for for the contrasting color is very inaccurate. It calls for 1/2 ounce and I ran out and had to go purchase more. I should probably make a note of this so I don't fall into this trap again. I am working on a hat out of the scraps...if I have enough I will finish it tonight and post a pic.

BTW Smiley's is introducing Lion Brand Homespun yarn to their site at a special intro. price of $1.99 a skein (through Sunday)...what a steal! The catch is (there's always something) there is a minimum purchase amount of $30...however on the up side there is a flat rate shipping charge of $8 or so. So even with shipping it's still a great deal. They have lots of other yarns there too...some are quite nice. I would LOVE to buy some of the Mardi Gras and Aquarium homespun and some woolspun and some Cha Cha and probably some other stuff...but I really don't need to spend any more money on yarn right now...oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home