Tifffany's Ramblings

Friday, September 12, 2003

Freaky Friday

I feel like I am living in a parallel universe, these days. Today 2 very strange things happened: 1 sad and 1 creepy. First the sad...

I am signed up to receive Joann's mailers and I get them about every 2 weeks or so. I had set out this morning to class with my recent mailer tucked into the visor in my car, so that I could stop by after school and use it up. When I pull in there are big signs all over the store saying "Store Closing". WHAT?!?!?! How can this store be closing...it's my lifeforce here in Atlanta! They can't not be getting enough business...I give them all my money! I sadly moped around the yarn aisles before selecting a few things (everything was 20% off). Of course there were all these annoying vultures there trying to capitalize on this sad situation. Perhaps I will go back in a week or so and see if there's anything left that calls my name.

And now the creepy...

After that I went to the supermarket to pick up a few things for the weekend. As I am getting back into my car the guy in the van next to me is getting out so I kindly wait for him to close the door before I back out (I'm not always rude). He gets out and knocks on my window. Ugh. After quickly checking that my doors were locked I rolled the window down just a bit to see what he wants. I thought maybe I had a light out or something and he was going to tell me.

Him: "Where are you from?"
Me: "Ohio" (Can't you see my plates?)
Him: "Oh Ohio. I am from the British."

Ok, here I have to take a moment out to comment. If he's from "the British"...wouldn't English be his first language? And wouldn't he know "the British" just sounds silly?

Him: "Well I just saw you walk by and I said 'What a beautiful girl!' And had to meet you."
Me: "Uhhhhh Ok."

Now I'm getting creeped out cause this guy is at least 2x my age and has this big, lecherous grin.

Him: "Do you live with family here."
Me: "No."
Him: "Oh what do you do? Go to school?"
Me: "Yes I'm in grad school."
Him: "Oh grad school. I'm a doctor...I teach at the university."

I thought about asking which university, but figured if it was at my school that would be additionally creepy. I thought the fact that he claimed to be a doctor might make him slightly less creepy tho.

Him: "So do you have a boyfriend."
Me: "Yes." Oh god, please take that as a cue.
Him: "Are you going to get married?"
Me: WTF? "Yes" Please go away.
Him: Starts talking about being from the British and all the interracial couples there and how his wife is German and he has lots of white relatives.
Me: OK he's married...this might be a 'phew'...but why is he trying to sell me on the interracial couples bit (BTW he's black...not that I'm racist but that just makes this make more sense).
Him: "So how serious are you and your boyfriend?"
Me: "VERY serious" Get the hint yet?

I think at this point he finally introduced himself as Richard. I think he wanted to shake hands but my window was NOT going down anymore.

Him: "So you're serious?"
Me: "Yes very."
Him: "Aw, ok then. I just wanted to meet such a beautiful girl."
Me: "Have a nice day." Read that as: end of convo. Go away creepy guy
Him: "Be careful."

That entire exchange creeped me out, but none so more than the last exchange. Needless to say my eyes were glued on my rearview mirror on the way home. I don't know what this old, married guy had in mind. The only possibility that wouldn't be creepy would be that he was trying to find a date for his son or something...but that's still a little off. I'm safe at home now and I think i won't go out for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home