Tifffany's Ramblings

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Shrugwell by name... Shrug very well by reputation...


I left work early today as a treat to myself (sick earlier this week and long, grueling interviews Wednesday) and came home and finished a couple of shrugs I had been working on. First up, the Caron Shadows shrug, pattern from the ballband:



And the back:



I do have a major complaint about this yarn/pattern. It said it took 3 balls for the size S/M and 4 for the L/XL. I dutifully bought 3 balls, shortened the sleeves by 1.5" each, shortened the middle by 2", and still required a 4th ball. And I meanall of a 4th ball. And not only that, but I had to slightly shorten the body band so as not to need to buy another ball. Argh! Oh, and about the yarn... it is about the only acrylic that feels softer PREwashing and feels more plasticy after being dryed with fabric softener. Oh well... it still looks ok (I think) and will work this winter. I just threw it on over the T-shirt I wore to work today. Heads are cropped to protect the innocent (me) from looking like a goober (unfortunately, also me).

Next up, the dressy shrug I alluded to making in order to wear over a dress to a wedding in about 2 weeks. I searched in vain for a pattern online, and then just ended up making up my own. Crochet a 12" high rectangle in V-stitch, sew up somewhat to create sleeves, then work a little edging which is made up of a row of single crochets and then a row of alternating single and triple crochets. I really do like the way it came out and think it's the perfect size to wear over this dress. See:



And the back, which (luckily) is long enough to come to the top of the dress:



In the meantime, I picked up some Wool-Ease and have started some socks I think will be a Xmas gift. I've also got orders/requests pouring in for other Xmas gifts (2 foot doilies... are you serious?! Maybe... if you're good...) so I'd better get back to my own personal sweatshop. Knit and crochet on!

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both shrugs are beeeeutiful!

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for being the guinea pig with that ball band pattern! I've bought 6 skeins and will hopefully have enough for the largest size. Plus, now I know not to wash the dang thing! ::grin:::

Both shrugs are lovely - I'm happy to see the Caron yarn stripes as promised!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Well you've been busy! Both shrugs are awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home